- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (each 7 to 8 ounces)
- 8 thin slices ham
- 4 ounces sliced Jarlsberg, Gruyere, or other Swiss cheese, cut into slivers
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Grilled asparagus, for serving (optional)
1. Cut a deep pocket in the side of each chicken breast. Wrap a slice of ham around some cheese slivers to obtain
a roll about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat to obtain 8 rolls.
2. Stuff two of the ham and cheese rolls into each chicken breast. (The rolls should run lengthwise.) Pin the pocket
shut with an oiled toothpick. Lightly brush the outside of the chicken breasts with olive oil and season generously
on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Set up your Fire Magic grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. When ready to cook, brush or scrape the grill
grate clean and oil it well. Arrange the chicken breasts on the grill running on a diagonal to the bars of the grate.
Grill until browned on both sides and cooked through (the internal temperature should be 165 degrees), about
4 to 6 minutes per side, giving each breast a quarter turn after 2 minutes to lay on a crosshatch of grill marks.
4. Transfer the chicken breasts to a platter. Remove the toothpicks. Sprinkle with chopped chives. Serve with
grilled asparagus, if desired.