ORANGE RICOTTA PANCAKES
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbs granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
3 tbs butter, melted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk ricotta
1/3 cup orange juice , plus pulp
1 tbs orange zest
2 lbs breakfast sausage
Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Preheat the griddle on low heat and start firing the breakfast sausage over medium heat. Watch as the meat renders and drips onto the flavor grids, vaporizing the juice, sending outstanding flavor back up and into the meat, giving it that extra nuance and burst of BBQ flavor.
- For our pancake batter, we have two mixing bowls, one for dry, one for wet. We start with all purpose flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt and 2 Tbs granulated sugar.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together 1 cup whole milk, 1 large egg, 3 Tbs melted sweet cream butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice and the zest from one orange.
- Orange gives these pancakes a bright burst of flavor and the vanilla adds depth of flavor to the citrus-y floral notes.
- Fold in 1 cup of whole milk ricotta cheese. The ricotta gives the pancakes great moisture and structure. A lumpy batter is a good batter. Don’t over mix.
- Use a ladle to pour ½ cup circles of batter on the griddle. Watch for bubbles along the edge and in the center as an indicator when to flip.
- Warm maple syrup, segmented oranges and a scoop of fruit salad with a cup of coffee, make this meal complete.